Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's knowledge, not intelligence.

First off, an admission. I'm probably the dumbest of my clan. I have next to no artistic ability, i'm not musically inclined, and I don't have the razor sharp wit. In short, I'm the runt of the litter.

In some ways, knowing I'm not the smartest has been an advantage. I've kept at things long after my other siblings gave up. I'm nowhere near Gladwell's 10,000 hours for mastery of any craft, but I've kept at computers long enough to be able to get things done.

It's why I'm sad about my brother. He's as smart, if not smarter, than I am. Yet he has wasted his talents by being combative with people who were trying to help him. He was so busy trying to prove his smarts that he never had time enough to pick up the knowledge.

In short, his insecurity driven rampages damaged the very friendships upon which his success was reliant.

Comments from Buzz

0 comments:

Post a Comment