Monday, November 17, 2008

I feel like i've fallen back in time...

Playing around with MS's Visual Studio Express editions is a bit of a time warp. It reminds me of when I was programming against win16, and I use the word against advisedly, back probably the better part of two decades ago.

MS obviously builds some of the best tooling for first use. Click here, fill in code there, and voila, one working web application. I'd like to say that the traditional J2EE stack approach is inherently better than this, but it aint. From a pure get stuff done, the bang per buck measure, C# ASP.Net with it's databound controls and integrated JQuery has the Java world up against a wall. Sure, VS licenses aren't cheap, but what is the cost of a team of Java developers?

This is going to be an interesting adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, they definately took a large amount of clues from Delphi/Borland. Borland used to be king of G(et)S(hit)D(one). MS has taken that over with c#.

    ReplyDelete